«Regional and Transnational Cooperation in Central Asia»
In cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) Kazakhstan the German-Kazakh University (GKU) invites students and young scholars/professionals from Germany and Central Asia to participate in the XVI International Summer University in 2018!
The summer university 2018 will offer two modules. Students interested in the event must apply for one of them. Each course group of approximately 10−14 students will be taught by experienced lecturers in English language. Course work consists of group work, seminars and presentations and will usually cover the time until lunch. After lunch specialists will conduct lectures.
Central Asian Integration: Chances and Challenges
Christoph Schuck/ Steve Schlegel, Dortmund
Insecurity and Security Cooperation in Central Asia
Rustam Burnashev/ Irina Chernik, Almaty
III. Cultural program
As the summer university also intends to give an impression on the Central Asia region, the state of Kazakhstan and the city of Almaty, we also plan a variety of events like field trips and mountain hikes or sightseeing, partially self-organized by students.
The preliminary overall program (regularly updated) can be retrieved here.
IV. Travel allowances
- Students from Germany
Participants from Germany will receive 380 Euros as a lump sum compensation for overall travel costs to and from Almaty.
- Students from Central Asia
Participants from Central Asia (outside Almaty) will receive a travel allowance roughly commensurate with the distance of their travel and actual costs. Travel must be organized at reasonable costs, e.g. traveling from Bishkek by Marshroutka, rather than by plane.
V. Tuition Fees
There are no tuition fees.
VI. Accommodation and meals
We provide participants with accommodation (shared double rooms) and breakfast. Meals during conference days are provided as designated in the program. Dinners are not included.
VII. Eligibility criteria and application materials
To be eligible to apply you must
- be a student, young scholar or young professional;
- reside in Germany, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan or Turkmenistan;
- have a strong interest in the theme of the chosen course;
- have an adequate command of English.
Please send your application with the following materials:
- proof of adequate English language skills (please include test results, if available);
- letter of motivation which carries a reference to the chosen course topic (1−2 pages);
- curriculum vitae;
- proof of enrollment at a university or university of applied sciences, if applicable;
- filled in questionnaire (download here).
Participants of the summer university will receive a certificate stating the topic of the course and the number of ECTS obtained (3).